Galkynysh Gas Field via "SC" plays a key role in the Turkmenistan gas market, and as a leader, is responsible for preserving Turkmenistan’s energy security. To this end, it takes measures necessary to satisfy the steadily growing demand for gas and oil fuel.
- 2006 - Ýolöten Gas Field was founded and discovered, located 75km south-east of the provincial capital Mary in Turkmenistan.
- 2009 - Development of the field were awarded to CNPC, Hyundai Engineering and Petrofac.
- 2010 - The field development commenced in 2010 following an initial front end engineering and design (FEED) phase.
- 2011 - In November 2011, the field was renamed as Galkynysh.
- 2013 - Commencement of production, marking completion of the first phase of field development.
The gas field ranks among the world's five largest with estimated reserves of between 4 and 14 trillion cubic metres (140×1012 and 490×1012 cu ft) of natural gas and proven commercial reserves of 2.8 trillion cubic metres (99×1012 cu ft).
Oil reserves are 300 million tons. The crude oil extracted at Galkynysh is transported to the Oil Refinery